Tuesday, May 16, 2017

17.05.16 Love my Isla Hotel

By the time I leave Isla Mujeres, I will have stayed at Posada Isla Mujeres for seven nights.  The hotel itself is in a great location. Only a five minute walk from PocNa hostel where I started ( good thing because I have returned there numerous times for morning yoga, afternoon hammock swings and Saturday night entertainment.). Only one block from the main drag that I use to walk the 1/4 to the beach.  Surrounded by restaurants, bike rental and bars. 
 
My room is in a great location in the building.  It is a corner room at the street end of the building on the 2nd floor.  One of my windows is above the ground floor office's red roof and the other window is in the hallway next to my door.  When I'm inside with the windows open a nice sea breeze blows into the hallway window, through the room and out the street side window creating natural air conditioning making the room a pleasant place to be when it is hot outside - which is all the time. 

The hotel is simple. Nightly rate is 500 pesos or about $28 US dollars. No breakfast buffet, no pool.  There IS a cold water dispenser near the front door, and I've been hitting that pretty hard. Sometimes it is empty and I buy water in  liter bottles at one of the many convenience stores in town. 

The room itself is not deluxe. It is painted a bright green ( my favorite color, so THAT is good) 
 
to match the outside of the building, and there are green paint splashes on the sink, shower floor and on most  of what should be the trim areas in the room and bathroom.. The shower drain cover is missing, the shower head is corroded and spits the water out in an uneven spray after a second or two of random dripping. The water is not heated - but that is OK - it always feels good to jump in and cool off after a day at the beach. 

I have two beds. One is used as a dresser, since there is no dresser in the room. The bed is comfortable and there are three pillows to use as back elevators while I am watching TV,  or laying in bed while listening to books on tape or the Gianta game and knitting.

Every day I have enjoyed some R&R in the room and several days I had to pull myself away because I realize I should get out to enjoy the day (or night). 

Here is a snapshot of my immediate neighborhood surroundings.  First, a midnight view of the street from my street window.
Right next door on the street level is the Salon de Belleza
 
where I went in with freshly washed hair to get trimmed up by Gloria on Saturday night
 
Two blocks away is Olivia, a highly rated Mediterranean restaurant where I had a romantic dinner with myself one night. 
 
After that dinner, I considered stopping at the bar across the street from my hotel after dinner, 
 
but I can hear their music from my room, and generally it is not my favorite so I decided to go straight home when I heard my name called from the rooftop dessert and coffee bar above Gloria's salon. It was Jack, one of the guys staying at PocNa hostel who I have had conversations with over the last week. He was having dessert there with Nick, Stephanie and Sarah, other young people I met at PocNa. They invited me to join them for some dessert 
 
and some "español practicando" and I was happy to be included - falls in the category of "it's a small town / world".  Jack is from Chicago, Nick from Washington state, Stephanie and Sarah from Canada - I'm not sure where. Jack is the best at speaking Spanish. He told me when home in Chicago he stays connected by listening to the Simpsons on TV in Spanish. I've been watching news and Telenovellas in San Diego.  

Dessert was enjoyed by all and I walked the 10 yards to my hotel to spend some pleasant time in my room before calling it a night.  Usually I say "home is where I park it" but for this leg of my trip, home is Posada Isla Mujeres. Me gusta!

No comments:

Post a Comment