Friday, May 12, 2017

17.05.10-11. PocNa a Posada Isla Mujeres

I enjoyed two days at the PocNa hostel.... 
Breakfast in the common area each morning.  I met Ricardo who is from the US but spoke good Spanish, so I got practice with the basics (where are you from, how many times have you been here before,etc).
 
 I chose to actually participate in the sandy morning yoga class

 
( rather than take the easy way out and watch from a hammock like some guests did)
 
I went to the public beach, a 1/4 mile walk through town and had a 20 minute swim in the afternoon, but didn't spend much time in the sun - don't want to burned right at the beginning- the sun is hot!
 
The nights were rough, though.  From my room I enjoyed knitting and listening to the live music from the common area downstairs until 11:00 PM, but then they turned on the electronic "noise" which played until 3:00 AM for the younger crowd. So when my luck with the private room ran out after two nights, I moved to a new hotel - Posada Isla Mujeres.
 
Here I have a corner room on the second floor with good airflow so I do not need the air conditioning.  There is street noise, but nothing like the hostel night music, and I can listen to and watch Spanish music videos at a reasonable volume on TV.  

I got settled in my new room by 12:30 
 
so I rented a bicicleta and gave myself a tour of the island. It is about 6 kilometers from my north end lodging in el centro to the less densely populated south end 
 
where I toured the island's Mayan Ruins 
 
saw the Statue of Ixchel who was the principal Mayan goddess of water, the moon, abundance, fertility, love and medicine. 
 
and enjoyed the beautiful Carribean Sea crashing onto Punta Sur
 

No comments:

Post a Comment