Friday, June 2, 2017

17.06.02. Salsa dancing anyone?

It is Friday night in Tulum. I've just spent a week at Meztli - a Spanish immersion school here. 

It was a really good decision on my part to come here to Tulum after the wedding in Bacalar - I really wanted to attend a Spanish school while in México and the arrangements to attend this one in Tulim came together easily when I started making plans last Wednesday while resting in Bacalar before the wedding. 

One of the features of the school is optional late afternoon social activities at the school. On Wednesdsy there was a  "clase para bailar de Salsa".. 
 
El maestro was lots of fun and made us four chicas feel like we could actually dance. 
 
He told us he would be at Raices - a no-cover, open-air bar on the main drag through Tulum with live  music.  I took a nap in the early evening because the suggested arrival time was 10:00. I arrived at 10:30.  It is the biggest palapa I've ever seen: 
The band was good.  At the end of their set, they were replaced by a second good band - this one with a stand up harp. I learned they would continue to take turns playing through the the night - I think because the musicians wanted to dance, too.
 
The dancing was pretty - many experienced men and women, frequently changing partners, and nobody doing the "basico" back and forth step that I'm familiar with. 
 
I saw our Salsa instructor on the floor dancing with various partners.  Once between band sets with recorded music playing, he led a large group of dancers on the floor in a circle dance that was really fun to watch. 
 
I do not plan to join them on the floor tonight. I will need to attend a week long dance class before I'm ready for that!  

2 comments:

  1. Has the Spanish school allowed you to be more fluent? Even if it didn't it sounds like a good adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely not fluent, but I am confident I can communicate and I seek out Spanish conversation with every encounter. Getting better every day!

    ReplyDelete