Sunday, June 11, 2017

17.06.07-8 Dos noches en Cancun

Today was my last of eight days at Meztli Spanish Immersion Language school.  I enjoyed every aspect of my time at the school and of being in Tulum, but all good things must come to an end eventually.  Today was that day for my time in Tulum
 

I turned in my bike last night so I walked to school and back today - a very doable distance but still sweaty in the heat. So I took one more quick shower before I checked out of the jungle hotel and took a taxi to the bus station. 

I learned my lesson traveling by bus last time (see May 22 blog entry)  and arrived early to the bus station today.  Early enough to walk across the street to my favorite smoothy cafe for a light lunch. Today I had a smoothy made with mango and pineapple, and had a Facebook phone call with Curt before returning to the bus station to stand in line to board the bus in a calm and stress free manner. 

The 2.5 hour bus ride from Tulum to Cancun and was event-free unless you count the thunderstorm and heavy rain that turned some of the main streets of Cancun into lakes. 

Claudia picked me up from the station and we went directly to AVIVA, the yoga and movement studio owned by her friend, Ursala where I attended another hula hoop class led by Claudia. 
 


When we got home after dark, we discovered the storm had knocked out the power to her house. Good news is we did not need to cook dinner - we went out to a local organic food restaurant for dinner instead. I reported on the Spanish school and felt comfortable practicing what I had recently learned (usually she and I speak mostly English because my Spanish is elementary and very slow, but I was eager to demonstrate my new-found knowledge).  Bad news is the power was still out after dinner and that meant neither the air conditioning OR the ceiling fans worked, so it was HOT. We opened the windows for maximum ventilation and I laid down on top of the sheets in my room and went to sleep. Power came back on during the night and the ceiling fan made a great big difference in the sleeping comfort level. 

Next day was part business, part pleasure and part dental work.  We did morning errands, I swung in the palapa hammock until lunch and siesta time, then off I went for a 6:00 PM appointment to complete the two teeth crown work I started between Isla Mujeres and Bacalar. Even the dentists take siesta and come back to work in the early evening. Dr. Hugo is a pleasant guy who likes his work and is proud of it. We had an interesting conversation about the joy of helping our clients, and laughter about how we have more fun giving than the clients have receiving our work - dental, income taxes and accounting services :)












No comments:

Post a Comment