Tuesday, July 31, 2018

18.07.30 Red Bluff to Sutherlin

Getting to sleep last night was tough due to the heat ( I ran MT’s generator  so I could also run the air conditioning until 10:30 but turned it all off and opened the windows when I was ready to sleep and it got pretty warm pretty fast).  

Staying asleep last night was pretty tough due to the noise ( it is a rest area, after all, and there was a steady stream of trucks parking next to me for a break, and then driving off with their noisy engines to continue their journey on I-5 north. 

I woke at day-break after a particularly noisy truck went by, but was able to get another hour of sleep before I decided to get up and move on myself. 

Here is what the sun looked like at 8AM shining through the smoke from the huge Carr fire burning Northwest of Redding nearby. 



I drove north to Sutherlin, OR, about 275 miles, which is further than I like to drive in one day, but I stopped a couple times along the way.  One stop for gas when I crossed the Oregon border - but was surprised to see the gas was not significantly lower than in California  - one stop for lunch from my refrigerator ( thanks to Kathy and one unknown pot-lucker at church yesterday, I went home with a couple salad leftovers - perfect for me - and one stop in Roseburg for more groceries ( I forgot a couple things yesterday when I went shopping in Sacramento before Connie and I had ice cream together for dessert before dinner.)

Sutherlin is about 10 miles north of Roseburg. It is the home of Timber Valley SKP Park of Oregon. 



It is a 55 and older membership co-op community that provides a permanent RV parking space and a small ( but bigger than the one I’m paying for monthly in Auburn) storage shed on the site. 

I decided to get on the waiting list for a spot. They say I am number 130 on the list and it could be three to five years, but that, too, is perfect for me since I am not ready to settle down right now. My deposit is fully refundable so there is no risk getting on the waiting list except letting go of $1,000 interest free.  The people are friendly, it is a quiet and pretty property and the recreational opportunities are plentiful within a couple hour drive from here.

Who knows how I’ll feel about accepting a spot when my name gets to the top of the list, but I know it is good to have options.  


So I dropped off my “Active Waiting List” paperwork and deposit at the park office on my way out of town.



No comments:

Post a Comment