Sunday, July 29, 2018

18.07.24-29 Re-entry to US and MT

My ride to the airport on my get-away day out of Mexico City was definitely the best part of my day. I had a nice conversation with Sergio - he asked me what I liked best ( the local food) and least ( the bathroom smells) and what was my favorite place (Mexico City was cool, but I really like the beach) I really felt connected to him and his family and almost shed a tear saying goodbye, but I reasoned that would be unreasonable - although if I do come back, I would stay at their house again.

Fast forward through the airport experience - suffice it to say, I was happy to be home in San José and arrived safely at Tom and Pat’s house at 10:30 PST which was 12:30 AM in Mexico City clock time so we said a quick hello and retired for the night.  

It was hot in San José, so the one full day I stayed there was an indoor day - good eating and conversation with Kelly and her parents.  I brought out all my loot from my Mexico shopping and had fun watching Kelly and Pat pick what they wanted. 

After two nights in San José, it was time to move on to Roseville. Tom did a great job of starting my car and moving it to keep the tires from getting wonky but it was filthy from normal dust accumulation while sitting during my six weeks absence.   Recently I’ve been going to the drive through variety of car wash at gas stations, but end up disappointed because it is not a great wash job, and I have to hand dry anyway, so when I noticed a do-it-yourself car wash driving north through Turlock on I-5, I decided to get off and give it a go - the cold water would feel good on me, too!

After 36 hours back in the US with little opportunity to speak Spanish, I took advantage of the situation with the man who was working as the attendant at this four bay car wash. I asked him “habla español?” and he replied, “si, mucho” so I asked him for help with changing my dollar bills into tokens. I’m sure this exchange in Spanish was interesting to him because he walked me over to my bay, opened up the coin box with his key and gave me an equal number of additional tokens so I would have twice the amount of time on the wash clock. Plus, he came by during my wash time give me much needed counsel on the best way to work the soap brush.  Knowing Spanish continues to be a door opener for me. Very stimulating!  I offered him some candy from my Mexico City stash in thanks, and drove off in a clean Jeep:)

I stayed overnight at Steve and a Terri’s house the first night in town but only Terri was there - Steve was at a Giant’s game in SF with their daughter Aliesha who lives and works there. Terri and I had good conversation over dinner and watched the game on TV while knitting - seems I’m not the only one in the family who likes to knit!

Next day was Friday and I needed to get MT out of the RV repair shop before the weekend. Rodney at B&B RV has been very supportive to me since Mike left -  he did a lot of work on my HoneyDo list while I was gone, but he did not charge me anything to store it on his lot. AND he let me make two trips back and forth from my storage unit nearby while we had the electric plugged in and the air conditioning on this 100 degree afternoon. Thanks, Rodney, and B&B RV on Locksley Lane:)

I spent Friday night with Richard and Dollie - always good conversation there, and Saturday night at a new place for me, with Connie, from PEO. Sorry I don’t have any photos of these good connections. 

On Saturday during the day in addition to more storage and moving related work, I managed a coffee shop visit with my friend Anita and a house visit with Wendy to pick up my Kombucha starter which she nurtured while I was gone.  Wendy is happy to now have her own Kombucha production going. 



I parked MT in the Sierra Pines UMC parking lot for those two nights - thank you very much - and went to church on Sunday morning.  It was great to see some friends from church and to share in an after church barBQ and salad pot-luck lunch. 

My last move before leaving town was a stop in Sacramento to have a short visit and a very tall ice cream with Connie.



Adios, Sacramento, I’m now heading north to Oregon until who knows when.....,

No comments:

Post a Comment