Monday, July 23, 2018

18.07.22: Day 6 - Ecobici tour of the city

On Sundays some of the main thoroughfares in the city are closed to traffic from 8-2 so cyclists and all other forms of non-motorized traffic can enjoy the streets. 

I’d been planning to participate with my Ecobici access, and got an earlier-than-usual start by 9:00. I was so excited and confident that I promptly headed off in the opposite direction I had intended. 

Once I realized I was going against the predominant traffic flow, I turned around and 30 minutes later, after a stop at a corner vendor stand for a banana for breakfast, I was headed toward El Centro with the pack. 

This iconic statue in the center of a huge traffic circle 

was the spot for aerobic street exercise with a stage for the leaders to demonstrate the dance moves to very loud music. I wanted to stop, but kept on going since I had my own means of exercise at the moment. 

When I got close to the central square, I made the mistake of docking my bike and becoming a tourist for about 45 minutes. 

I went inside the Palacio de Bellas Artes today, ( I missed it on Day 4 because I fell and hurt my toe - which is now much better, thanks:)) and bought some more fruit for more breakfast - this time it was fresh and cold  pineapple and watermelon served in a 16 oz cup. 

I enjoyed the break, but by the time I got back on the bike, the central walking streets were packed with people 

And the El Zocolo streets were busy with cars

making the biking a bit less enjoyable.

So I retraced my ride back to my general neighborhood where the streets were still only used by bikes and rollerblades and the park-like surrounding was quite pleasant.

At 2:00 when the streets opened up again, I went back to my immediate neighborhood and stopped at a street food cart (which  I noted was busy so the odds are it would be good) because “la fruta estaba no bastante y tenía hambre” The vendors were a young couple.  I ordered what they were serving and still don’t know what I ate, exactly, but it was good.

I was able to answer a couple questions while ordering to select calabasa filling with cheese. La mujer was making the tortillas on the griddle by adding two ingredients together and smashing them into tortilla form. El hombre added the selected ingredients to the tortilla and cooked it until ready.  There were a few stools around the griddle, and a woman finished her meal and motioned me to sit, so I did. I asked the cook “ Puedo andar salsa” pointing to the tubs of red and green on the table.  He said yes and described to degree of caliente in each. When I was done adding the less hot variety, the hombre in a suit next to me did the same. That little exchange in Spanish made me feel very local:)

For dessert, because I enjoyed my pastry so much yesterday, I did it again.  I bought a different goodie at a different panadería and took it to a different sidewalk café to rest and people watch for a while. 

My “it’s the week before Christmas” shopping mentality has been in full swing for a couple days,  so I strolled by the vendor in the park across the street from my cafe and bought some leather goods to scratch that itch (actually, much of this entire trip I did not do much shopping because I didn’t want to carry it around with me, and I knew there would be lots of opportunity in Mexico City at the end, so now it is time).

The bike is such a good way to get around, I kept changing bikes and riding for exercise and to find  more food until after dark.

Here is the neighborhood dog park in full swing.  

When I finally parked my last bike of the day at the bike rack less than a five minute walk from my house, 

I went home to pack. Tomorrow is my last full day in Mexico. 

No comments:

Post a Comment