Thursday, July 12, 2018

18.07.08 Happy Birthday to me!

Yesterday, after my first Spanish class, I did some aggressive networking with a group of fellow students at lunch -

I was gathering information about outdoor activities I could find to entertain myself with on Sunday.

When I mentioned it was my birthday on Sunday, Gwen said it had been her birthday on July 1 and she and her husband had tickets to an afternoon music / food venue a few miles outside of San Miguel de Allende and that “I should come with them because it would be fun and you don’t want to be alone on your birthday.”  She was right about that, and the activity sounded perfect for me - another sign I’m on the right track. So I bought my ticket at the store in town they directed me to and joined the others at the table whom she talked into coming as well - “the more the merrier” she said. 

I walked to Gwen and Rocky’s house about noon on Sunday. 


It is a beautiful five unit bed and breakfast building on a hill 

with a great view of the city. 

They put an offer to buy this place last July, and it finally closed in April this year. They used to live in the Seattle área, but now live here full time, and are working to remodel and furnish the units to be rented out to visitors to SanMiguel de Allende.

I rode with Gwen and Rocky in their car -  about 10 miles out into the countryside 

to this really nice event property that reminded me a lot of Naggiar Winery -  a really nice property near Lake of the Pines at home where they also have outdoor seating, special event food service and live music.

Gwen and I toasted our mutual birthdays.....

we had a delicious all you can eat, gourmet Mexican food buffet.....
and listened to live music by a very  talented guitarist (owner of the place) and his very talented violinist partner whom Gwen has seen before and has a crush on. 
After eating, I had just been showing the group a photo of Mike and me at Eric and Clau’s wedding

And had removed myself from the group to go sit in the sun in a comfy chair on the lawn outside the shade structure
when the second band started playing.  They opened with a song that means a lot to Mike and me “ain’t no sunshine when she’s gone”. by Bill Whithers. The minute it started playing and I realized what song it was, it was as if Mike reached out and hugged me, saying “I’m with you.”  So of course, I had a good cleansing cry and enjoyed the experience. 

The rest of the afternoon was normal - the band played rock and roll covers with a senior citizen tone and I danced with our group.

Not exactly family and friends, but definitely new friends, and a great way to spend my birthday!



No comments:

Post a Comment