Friday, July 6, 2018

18.06.04 - Adios Yucatán Peninsula

This is my fourth visit to Mexico. 

The first time was in April 2014 when Eric and Clau had been together for a year and were spending the winter in Cancun.  We were invited to visit and chose Easter weekend because it worked best for our schedule while working our first volunteer stint in Carlsbad.  That time we were introduced to cenotes, Mayan ruins, Valladolid and Isla Holbox by Lupita and Claudia and enjoyed it all, of course. I remember pulling Eric aside and telling him that I thought there was  some health issue with Dad, but he was  
still willing and able to climb the steps to the top of the Ek Balam pyramid.



The second trip was in May of 2016 when we came to attend Eric and Clau’s  wedding on Isla Holbox.  It was a beautiful wedding on the beach and Mike was all in spirituality but his body was struggling. 



The third trip I came alone in May/June of 2017. I was five months in to the shock of losing Mike, and this trip was a much appreciated distraction from my grief, and a really good traveling solo experience. I visited the family house in Cancun and traveled alone to most of the places we had seen together in the previous two visits - a good trip down memory lane. 

This year’s trip  - three weeks completed so far -  has been similar to my trip last year in that I have again visited the places I am familiar with along the east coast of the Yucatán Peninsula along the Caribbean Sea, also known as the Mayan Rivera. One notable difference was the family event.  Rather than a wedding as in 2016, I attended the Claudia’s baby shower.  Yeah!!!



Now I’m on my way out of my comfort zone and the places I know in the Yucatán Peninsula to experience something different. 

Before I leave I want to share my Top 7 fun observations about the Yucatán:

1:  Tourists pay a higher price than locals for taxis, but sometimes you can successfully negotiate the price

2:  It’s a jungle out there - literally!



3:  Toilet paper goes in the waste basket - not in the toilet.

4:  One does not need strong water pressure to wash ones hair in the shower - but it helps:)

5:  One can get very inexpensive, fresh-cooked and delicious local food from mobile food carts and walking vendors

6:  To get a fair price for non-food goods at a local market in tourist areas, it is helpful to know what their high “rookie tourist” starting price is and then go to another stand that sells similar items and offer 1/4 - you’ll likely meet somewhere in the middle at a reasonable price for both the buyer (who gets an item hand made somewhere in Mexico) and the seller ( who might even be the artesano and deserves a fair price for their beautiful work). 


7:  A cold shower feels great!

Adios beautiful, hot and humid, welcoming and comfortable Yucatán Peninsula. 
Until we meet again!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment