Wednesday, August 1, 2018

18.07.31 Sutherlin to Silver Falls State Park

I had a quiet night’s sleep last night in the SKP park - no diesel trucks passing by in the middle of the night like in the rest area the night before. It was still warm, but I was able to push out the slides and leave the door open, so there was much better air flow and I slept straight through until 8:30 or so. 

Checkout time was 11:00, so I decided to make good use of my time here in Sutherlin this morning - I only had 140 miles to drive today, so I had time to kill, might as well do it here before I start driving.  A trip in to town would be quick and easy - Sutherlin is a small community with one business street running through the center of town less than two miles away from the park entrance. 

On the way out of the park, I dropped off my Timber Valley Co-Op Membership application at the office - 

I’m officially on the waiting list for a spot here!  

So my first stop in town was at the local branch of  Umpqua Bank where I went in to cover the application deposit check I had just delivered.

Since I was out, and in an unfamiliar town, I searched for the bakery a had a breakfast goodie. Unnecessary, I know, but it satisfied today’s episode of my “enjoy the journey” mantra:)

My final stop was at the town’s largest (but still only a Holiday Market sized) grocery store to  fill my drinking water bottles.  I know my next stop, Silver Falls State Park,  is about 20 miles out of town, and I want to be able to stay put for up several days without making the trip in for supplies. I really need to move toward an external water filter for the hose between the campsite water supply and MT. I see these filters on other campers’ set-ups but have been satisfied with carting in my water for so long it is a natural and constant habit - I rarely run out. 

Today, however,  I was low because I need water for my main chore back home after the trip to the grocery store. 

I brewed my first batch of Kombucha with the starter liquid and Scoby’s I received from Wendy before I left Auburn.  



Six black tea bags, a cup of sugar and a gallon of water will turn into eight 16 oz bottles of drinkable Kombucha in 10-14 days. 

What will I drink for an afternoon treat in the meantime, I wonder?

The trip north on I-5 was uneventful. I stopped in Albany at a Fred Meyers because I’m happy to be back in Oregon where Fred Meyers is the go-to big box store for groceries and everything else you can think of.  Today I did my second “enjoy the journey” splurge of the day and got a caffeine filled coffee drink from Peet’s inside Fred Meyers because I was sleepy on the road. The irony is that by the time I was parked ( finding a parking spot which leaves an escape route for a 32 foot Motorhome pulling a Jeep is no easy task) and worked my way in (passing all the household things I do not need to buy) to find Peet’s,  I was no longer tired, but by then my mind was set and I bought it anyway!

Back on the road, I had less than an hour to drive.  I immediately saw a huge plume of smoke off in the direction I needed to go, and sure enough, Google Maps told me a needed to drive right in to the smoke.

When I was very close to the plume but before I turned even closer, I stopped at a stop sign, put on my flashers and flagged the car behind me around to pass so I could ask them if I was safe. It was a mom with her child who told me it was OK - a controlled field burn - so I plowed on through, but I was definitely not happy about it!

I pulled in to the park and immediately flagged down the first ranger vehicle I saw which turned out to be Carlie, the ranger I’ve been communicating with.  She directed me to my spot and I took my time getting settled for a couple hours 

and then took an evening bike ride around to get a quick overview of the park. I can tell from the map that there is way more acerage to see in this park than I can see in one night, 

but I did ride through the campground to scratch my curiosity itch. I talked to several other hosts and everyone seems happy to be here. Another adventure begins tomorrow!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment