Sunday, July 22, 2018

18.07.21: Day 5 - San Ángel

This morning I returned to the Ecobici experience, but stayed in familiar surroundings - my La Condesa neighborhood. I found a Pastelería, got a good sweet pastry and took it to a corner café where I bought a cup of tea to go with the sweets. 

Then I went home to wait for my lunch date to pick me up at my house....

Claudia had introduced me to her aunt Tizy in the spring and we’ve been communicating via What’sApp.  I let her know when I arrived in Mexico City, and she invited me to spend the afternoon together today.

She picked me up in her car with her mother and the three of us drove south in the city about 20 minutes in traffic to SanAngel - another neighborhood place on the list to visit that I had not seen yet. There we had a nice lunch including a traditional local and seasonal dish 



at Saks, a very nice restaurant facing the plaza.  We shared pictures of family as we got to know each other.  Mom spoke English well because she grew up in Juarez, just across the border from El Paso, and went to US to learn English when she was 10 years old.  Tizy had some English, too, but I tried to communicate in Spanish. 

After lunch we did a little bit of shopping in the Saturday arts and crafts  market.  

It is difficult on the cobblestones in a wheelchair, and there were lots of people, too, so after a short while together, we parted ways so Tizy could take mom home, and I could walk the outdoor market for a while. 

I wandered for quite a while until the vendors were starting to wrap it up for the day.  I ventured home by myself using yet another mode of transportation - the above ground Metro bus system. I had Diana’s card for access, and the line was straightforward down a main city boulevard toward La Condesa, so I could figure out when to exit following along with Google maps, and then it was an easy walk home. 

I’m always happy when I get back to my neighborhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment