Sunday, August 5, 2018

18.08.01. Silver Falls SP orientation

I received orientation and training today from the seasonal ranger, Tiffany who was on duty and was assigned to show me around this morning.  She gave me a tour of the maintenance facilities and the ranger office areas before we went off to train on my 
primary host duty - cabin cleaning.  

There are 13 host sites in this park and each site has a different job description.  Tiffany was following the training instructions provided to her by her boss.  Theoretically, the cabin cleaning process should take 20 minutes or so to do a thorough job. There are 14 cabins and two hosts assigned to cabins, so on a full day with complete turnover, I could be responsible for 7 cabins. Today there were 8 to clean and after the first one I worked on with Tiffany, it was time for her lunch to break, so  I trained/worked the rest of the day with Bob, a fellow cabin cleaner host. I rode in his golf cart while he gave me the host version of the cabin cleaning process.  We worked together and I asked lots of questions about living in the park…..

Can we get mail delivery?  Yes

Where do you go for groceries? Silverton and Sublimity are about 12 miles in different directions and Salem is 30 miles

Where are the laundry facilities? In a small out building very close to my RV parking. 

When the cabins were finished, he gave me a golf cart tour of the day use area which was very full today, 

and we spent some time helping two youngish gals with their dead car battery.

Back at my rig after work, I still have my Mexico suitcase and loot bag from shopping in their original conditions, so I’m in transition between two worlds and I worked on getting organized inside until early evening.  

For a bit of exercise and to expand my orientation to this big park, I took another bike ride on an interior park road which was more like a bike path since I did not pass one single car.

Through beautiful old growth forest up to the ranches and the YMCA camp.

Next morning was an official off-duty day ( Thursday and Friday are my off -duty days each week) but I wanted to get off the roads into the trail system so I hooked up with Bob for his early morning litter picking hike

on a trail system that wanders seven mile through the forest past ten waterfalls. We saw two this morning.
There is lots more ground to cover and discover, but this morning’s hike was a good start!






No comments:

Post a Comment