Wednesday, August 15, 2018

18.08.08-13. Car camping with Terri

I have a girlfriend, Terri, who I met at church in Stockton when we were both having baby boys.  We kept in touch fairly well for a few years after my family moved to Auburn - we had one car camping outing together with the boys and we each visited the other’s house once so we could talk while the boys swam, skate boarded and did what boys do. There was a long spell during which we did not communicate while we were busy with life.  When Mike and I started on this adventure we reconnected when we were overnighting in the Motorhome at the coast near where she lives. It was one of those “we picked up right where we left off” experiences, and we’ve been doing better since then. We talked about meeting up in Oregon during the eclipse last year, but that didn’t happen. This year, Terri has been texting me with inquires about where I’ll be and when during August, and I gave her my location and dates. 

So I was pleasantly surprised when, on Aug 1, she texted to say she was on her way from her home in California to Oregon.  She was on a road trip, I was invited to join her, and for once I did not need to be the logistics planner - she made the campsite arrangements for two nights at Detroit Lake State Park - a possible hosting spot that has been on my list to visit.  I figured I’d do a day trip up to see it some time while I’m at Silver Falls because it is only 50 miles away.  Instead, I learned I get to camp there with a friend after only eight days in the neighborhood. 

Terri had all the camping gear, which is a good thing because all Mike and my car camping gear got distributed to Eric and Curt or simply left behind when we moved into our first Motorhome five and a half years ago. 
Before I left home, I cooked up all the perishables at my house  so I had some food to contribute and I stopped for fruit at the store on the way up. We ate really well, after toasting our reunion with a bottle of champagne.

Another chore I had before leaving was related to sleeping arrangements.  Terri encouraged me to clear the decks in my Jeep so I could sleep in it rather than pitch one of her tents - too much work, she said.  I was a little dismayed at first because my Jeep is basically a storage room so it was a bit of work getting everything moved out into MT.  

I am SO glad I did it. 

The Jeep got a good sweep and airing out which it needed badly.  I used lots of blankets for a cushy pad.  The only real camping gear I own is my sleeping bag which I carry in the Jeep so I can lay it out on any bed I sleep on when I’m visiting friends. The sleeping bag was a beautiful comforter on top up my sleeping cushions. 

I loved sleeping in the Jeep. I opened the back hatch a little way and settled in to watch the mini parade of people walk by after dark - a much different experience than sleeping in MT! I decided I will orchestrate my own car camping trip again before I leave - there are lots of options for a mid-week overnight along a local river in a National Forest campground.

In the morning of our only full day at the State Park, we drove a short distance to Breitenbush Host Springs - a place Terri found in her hot springs reference book.  We had a day pass, although the place is set up for overnight stays and I'm sure that would be a good experience, too.

In additions to enjoying all seven hot and one cold pool locations, we also jumped in the very very cold river.  This is a picture of us in the front lawn of the lodge eating some kale dipped in hummus - simple to carry and more enjoyable and less expensive than buying and eating on the kitchen's time frame.  
I don't have any pool pictures to show since this is a "clothing optional" hot springs. You’ll just have to use your imagination. 

The next day we enjoyed our campsite until the 1:00 checkout time and then headed east back toward Silver Falls while looking for more swimming holes.  Here is Terri swimming in the lake just below the dam that creates Detroit Lake
and here is me enjoying the Santiam River further downstream
 
When we got back to Silver Falls, the eating fest continued and the plan for Terri to stay in her car on my site for the weekend turned in to a four night eating, planning and visiting layover.  
I went back to Camp Host duties, and we took a nice hike together on the first afternoon after work.
The next day Terri hiked the Trail of Ten Waterfalls by herself while I did my own things, then we took a short trip toward Salem for a couple supplies and to visit the Farm Fresh Egg stand of a gal we met at the hot springs three days earlier.  We bought a dozen eggs, 
and scavenged apples from the ground under the apple tree in the yard 


and turned them in to two jars of applesauce.  
 
The Farm Fresh Egg gal was happy to hear we enjoyed the fruits of her yard.  I bet I'll be going back there for more before I’m finished here in Silver Falls. 

Meanwhile, it is time for Terri to move on and me to go back to normal life, refreshed and rejuvenated with ideas to put in to action from a our life planning discussions.  Until we meet again, Terri!


No comments:

Post a Comment