Tuesday, October 9, 2018

18.10.01-2 Home repairs

No matter where a person lives, home repairs are a fact of life. Every time I get work done on MT, I hear the comment from the service provider something to the effect of “ your broken system (water pump, in this case) is working hard because you are a full - timer - these things were not designed to be lived in”.

Well, I know lots of people who DO live in their RV’s full time, and they agree with me:

THE BENEFITS:
-Variety of scenery (natural world)
-Variery of home town services (groceries, entertainment, etc)
-less stuff to carry, manage and clean
-focus on outdoor activities 
-easy to meet(and change, if necessary) your neighbors

OUTWEIGH THE DRAWBACKS
-continuous logistics planning (where will I park next?)
-how can I fix what is broken while still having a place to live?

I know, this is a short drawback list, but honestly, it is how I felt about my lifestyle.

 I like it - the drawbacks are few:)

So back to my needed repairs….

One morning, about half way through my stay in Silver Falls, I discovered water running OUT of my city water intake spout 

(the place where I normally add water INTO my fresh water holding tank by hose from the campsite water spicket). 

Not good!  I stopped the bleeding by turning off the water from the campsite water spicket 

so no new water would come into MT to fill the holding tank and overflow on the other side. 

Fortunately, I had an idea about what the problem was because the same thing happened last October when I was in Newport at South Beach State Park. That time I called a mobile RV guy to come take a look. He diagnosed a faulty water pump, ordered a part and came back 10 days later to install it. Problem solved.

Unfortunately, I could not locate a mobile RV guy to come to Silver Falls in a reasonable time at a reasonable price.   I knew I was driving out toward Salem in three weeks and I knew how to manage an acceptable work-around until then…. Leave the city water intake source turned off, and use the fresh water in my holding tank (which was now completely full).  Not a bad workaround, and I survived my last three weeks just fine by turning off the water pump (easy access to the on/off switch near the kitchen sink) when I was not running water, and I started taking showers in the bath house in the cabin loop. 

During my final week at Silver Falls I made a lot of phone calls to RV repair shops in Salem.  I was thinking Salem was the place to get drive in work done because it is a good sized town midway between Silver Falls and McMinnville - my ultimate destination. I had a couple options that I thought would work and booked three different date/location appointments but none were perfect ( date too far out, inconvenient location, shop not too helpful on the phone.....).

The issue for me is timing since I need a place to live while I get the repair done.  If they were busy, or had to order a part, I would either need to leave it overnight, or make two trips, and Salem is not far from McMinnville, but not exactly convenient, and moving one mile is as much work for me as moving 1000 miles - everything inside needs to be securely stowed while I’m driving, plus, I need to hook up the Jeep and tow it along so I have wheels once I’m out of MT. You see why this aspect of my lifestyle is on the drawback list. 

Finally, I did a google search in the McMinnville area and found “That Trailer Guy” who was conveniently located on a major two lane highway not far from my intended overnight parking or from Eric’s house. AND they could see me on October 1 - the day I pulled out of Silver Falls so I did not have to move twice on the front end of the repair. 

Best case scenario!  I pulled in at the appointed hour, 11AM after my 90 minute drive from Silver Falls.  They were courteous, had helpful suggestions - I learned more about my systems while I watched the repair.  They completed my water pump AND put in a new water temperature thermostat so my water would get hotter - all while I waited!  Happy happy Denise!

I spoke with Eric while I was at the shop. Baby Mateo is now four days old, they are getting settled and still in transition, with Lupita there to help, so staying overnight at their house was not a good option. 

Instead, I drove to Champoeg State Park, another place on my list of possible hosting spots that I wanted to check out anyway. It is only twenty miles from their house.  I got a camp host complementary campsite for two nights.  Exciting!  The place was fall color pretty

and I took a nice bike ride on the park’s bike path along the Willamette River before heading in to McMinnville to spend the evening at Eric’s house. They received dinner from a friend, so all I had to do was hold baby Mateo for an hour or so 

while Eric and Lupita did house chores and Clau continued to become acquainted with motherhood. Great visit and a short drive back to my home at Champoeg.

BUT!!!!  In the morning I awoke to discover I had no inside electricity. I went out to look at the electric fixture in the same utility cabinet where the water pump is housed. I touched the electric box and it sparked and smoked.  Scary!!!! I turned off the electric power source ( something I should have done BEFORE I touched the RV end of the cord).  Then I called That Trailer Guy back, described my situation and got permission to return there again.  

Best case scenario - a repeat of yesterday!! It was an easy fix for Matt - That Trailer Guy. He rewired the electric box in MT while I waited, and only charged me 30 minutes labor.   Happy happy Denise. I left a really nice review on his business google search:)

Now I had another housing challenge. I had already forfeited my comp night at Champoeg by pulling out for more repairs, and could not park in Eric’s neighborhood, so I paid the full price night fee of $46 at Old Stone Village - the same RV park where I have a $495 monthly rate reservation of during November. It is only five miles from Eric’s house. Flat, sunny, full hookups, internet, site available for drop ins. Happy happy Denise!

I had time relax and do much needed paperwork at home in the afternoon. Then I gathered my items to bring dinner to the newborn house, and spent another newborn-watching evening with the family. Yeah!

Tonight’s drive home was even shorter - back to Old Stone Village on the outskirts of McMinnville. Very near the hospital where Mateo was born. Very near That Trailer Guy in case something else breaks-which I’m sure it will!  It’s always something. One of the things on the “Benefits” list is the joy of finding new local services. Here in McMinnville I’ve already got a good hospital and RV repair guy. Happy happy Denise:)







No comments:

Post a Comment