Tuesday, October 2, 2018

18.09.01-26 Side Trips

Silver Falls State Park is a large forested park located on a two lane highway through the foothills 15 miles from the closest supply town in either direction on Highway 214. It is a destination park - not really on the way to anywhere else, and definitely off the Verizon reception grid. The park provides an internet connection so if I need to make a call I can use Skype or Facebook messenger, but only when I’m at my site. Point is, it is remote and during my on duty days I stay at home and enjoy the experience of being here.  But on my two off duty days, I plan ahead to visit with family and friends outside the park……..

August 8-10:  I already wrote a stand alone post about my car camping experience with my friend Terri. 



Aug 15-17:  This was my 2nd trip to McMinnville to visit with Eric and Claudia. I got to sit in on their weekly “Baby Boot Camp” appointment where they are learning the science of pregnancy and skills to support a best case scenery delivery experience.  



Aug 22-24: I drove to Camp Sherman near Sisters and Bend to visit with Kathy and Rod. 


They have been friends since we met then while camp hosting in Newport in 2014. That was the year the Giants won their 3rd World Series and Kathy and Rod hosted us at their Airstream Trailer a could time for game watching because we did not have a TV at that point. 


This year I am close to their house, so drove up for a couple nights. We went to see Mama Mia-Here  We Go Again at a theatre in Bend, because it was too smoky from forest fires to be outside one day. The next day was beautiful and we took a hike through the forest in her neighborhood along the Metolius River. 


Aug 29-31:  This was the only off duty period I did not leave the area. Instead, I did a major house cleaning and prepared for a Labor Day weekend visit to MY house from Eric and Claudia.  I unhooked MT and drove around the block just to keep all the moving parts happy. Then I rearranged my stuff inside so I could offer them the bedroom while they were here for three nights.

 I took a work break one afternoon before they arrived and bought myself a huckleberry ice cream at the park’s cafĂ©. 

 While they were here we had a visit from Jeff, one of Eric’s friends from high school.  The two of them went on a major hike to the top of one of the Three Sisters peaks. Clau and I took it easy at home and the three of us went for a hike to see Upper North Falls.


Sept 6-8:  I drove 140 miles south on 1-5 to Sutherlin OR where I met my friend Jacqui half way for a two night visit.   Jacqui was the USCE ranger who hired us to host at Martis Creek Lake in Truckee for two seasons. 


We’ve kept in touch and now she is retired and full-timing in her fifth wheel. 

On our full day together we drove o Elkton to meet Pat and Keely midway from their campsite for lunch and wine tasting one afternoon

Pat and Keely were also hosts for Jacqui at Martis Creek. We never worked together since the park was small and supported only one camp host, but we always overlapped for a few nights and have a good bond together with Jacqui. 

Sept 13-15:  this was my third trip to McMinnville. Clau and Eric were hosting a baby shower in a nearby park for their local friends.

It was a great experience for me because I got to see another of Eric’s friends from high school 

and meet their new local friends from the birth yoga class and their Spanish speaking social group. Muy bien!

Sept 20-22:  this break period was unusual in that I took two different day trips. 

First was a bike ride through a county park along the Willamette River in Salem. For exercise and cell service business. 



Next was a real estate visitation day in the McMinnville area - just to see what is out there.  One idea I have brewing is to buy a house that Eric and Clau could rent from me - but I did not see anything I needed to pull the trigger on this time, and they are VERY sidetracked with the impending birth of baby.  We’ll continue to keep an eye on properties. 

Sept 26-28:  this is a very exciting three day period and deserves it’s own post. Stay tuned!  Baby time!!!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment