Tuesday, October 2, 2018

18.09.26-28 It’s a Boy!

The weather during my last off duty period was sunny at Silver Falls and sunny at the coast. I decided to take a road trip to Newport to see my old stomping grounds. 

I left Silver Falls after cabin cleaning on Wednesday the 26th and drove to McMinnville. Lupita had arrived from Cancun several days earlier and I wanted to say hello to her, and see how Clau and Eric were doing since it is now only 8 days short of the Oct 3 due date. 

Clau and her mom had been shopping, washing baby clothes and planning Lupita’s sewing projects. She is making mattress covers, diaper covers and bassinet bumpers. 

We all went out to dinner that night and Returned home for a quiet night. Clau’s doctor appt today reported she was 3 cm dialated but the doctor said to make another prenatal appointment for next week anyway.  She made the appointment, but believed the contractions she was feeling tonight were different, than the Braxton Hicks contractions she had been feeling since around the time of her baby shower two weeks ago.

In the morning, took off as planned for Newport despite the fact Lupita reported Clau was having contractions and Eric had decided to stay home from work today to be with her. Very exciting for them, but I was still on the October 3 game plan. 

My trip to Newport was good. It was a lovely day at the North Jetty where I went to commune with the sea at the entrance to the Newport fishing harbor.  

Mike and I have spent time in the general area over the years and in this particular spot in 2014.  It is one of “our places” where I let fly his ashes in a beautiful display of his spirit ascending to heaven last year. 

While I was reminiscing about this place and my memories, I received What’s App messages from Eric and Lupita telling me they were heading to the hospital. 

I met a camp host friend from last year for Happy hour after I was done at the beach.  I forgot my phone in the car, and was telling him about the baby coming and he said “ go get your phone, you won’t be happy until you do”. So out I went to receive the message It’s a Boy!  I called Eric and cried for joy when he said Hi Grandma!  

I learned the details, Mateo Elika Tomczak was born at 4:50 PM after only 90 minutes in the hospital - all their preparations helped them enjoy the early stages of labor at home and while they were not LATE to the hospital, they couldn’t have waited at home any longer, and by they time they arrived it was too late for any IV or pain control which Claudia did not want anyway. 

I stayed in Newport overnight in my Jeep on my friend’s host site as planned, then drove to the hospital on Friday the 28th to meet Mateo.

24 hours old. What a joy:)

I took Lupita home late on Friday where we spoke Spanish over a late dinner of rice and beans they had cooked earlier and we both crashed at the apartment while Eric stayed with Clau at the hospital for the second night. Then in the morning I took Lupita back to the hospital for one more peek at Mateo 

before heading home to Silver Falls for my last two days of duty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment