Friday, June 15, 2018

18.06.12 Isla Mujeres day one

My first day on the island was quiet. I took the 1:30 ferry across from Cancun on a beautiful sunny day.

After I checked in to the Balu Hostel, I sat for a while on the balcony deck chair to knit and eat the avocado I snuck through customs from Raleys back home. I could see the sea and the ferry dock where I had just been.

Then I took a walking tour along the shore

around the north end of the island. It was a trip down memory lane about my trip here last May, but this time my rest stop was a new place, Jax’s Bar and Grill where I waited out  a passing shower and took this obligatory island paradise photo. 
Balu Hostel was a one night stand for me. My goal was to have a definite place to land and then walk the central district to find another place to stay for the following 5 nights - I was not sure if I would like it and did not want to commit sight unseen. It turned out to be a good place (for a hostel)
in a good location with a comfy bed and pillow in a room I shared with six other females.  None were English speaking which was OK because already I feel comfortable “con mi habilidad que comunicar en espaƱol”. I did not feel like it tonight though because they were younger and I knew I would be leaving in the morning. So I ate the dinner Balu was serving ( bad decision in retrospect) and took another walking tour ( this time on the interior streets rather than the shoreline) and found the comfy coffee shop I knew from last year where I had a strawberry smoothie to soothe my tummy and access their internet.

Back in the room a couple hours later I laid on my bunk knitting,  and I finished my first book on tape and went to sleep with the lights on which was easy because I was “muy cansada” and the girls were quiet.   Buenas noches!

No comments:

Post a Comment