Tuesday, August 1, 2017

17.07.25-31 Curve ball to Gumby

Mike always used to say "I'm Gumby" while holding out his loose arm to me to confirm that Yes, Indeed, he is very flexible. Usually this happened when we were discussing two alternative activities and he was letting my choice prevail. Good man!

Well, now it is my turn to be Gumby because 
my finely designed calendar got knocked for a loop when the truck repair shop service manager informed me (the day before I was planning on picking up MT and driving up to the mountains for a few days of R&R by myself) that there had been a mishap in the parking lot. My drivers side rear view mirror was knocked off by another vehicle moving around in the lot, and he could not find the replacement mirror. Dang!  I had two thoughts:

1:  Don't get upset about the mirror - they are going to fix it and I am really happy to have had the free RV storage while getting work done.  If I make a ruckus, then he will be less likely to agree to let me leave MT for storage next time I'm in town and in need of engine maintenance.

2:  It couldn't have happened in a better place.  

So I had five extra nights - unscheduled - in my hometown! It is good to be flexible!

A big hug to sister Kelly, Jim and Glenda for welcoming me into their home for the nights I was stranded without MT ( aka: the Motorhome). I stayed with them four nights total during this spell and was always comfortable and happy to be visiting and relaxing with them. We watched the second half of the 4 hour version of Pride and Predjuice that we started in San Jose, and spent a lot of time dream building about where we all want to live eventually. 

One of my extra nights was spent with Marian.  Here I am on her front porch where Mike and I made out five year housing plan in the summer of 2015 after we learned of his disease. 

Little did we know his "progression" was moving much faster than we planned and he would only get to enjoy another 18 months. Now I have this cute reminder of him - a gift from my PEO sisters made from two of his favorite shirts. 


Marian and I traded car repair transportation assistance - initially she helped me manage my car camping baggage and transportation during a routine oil change for the  which turned into an unscheduled overnight for the Jeep at my favorite service station and mechanic Russ at Auburn Autohaus.  


Then a couple days later when I spent the extra night at her house I helped her shuttle her new (used) Toyota 4Rinner in to the tire store to switch out tires and rims so the best of each are on her new black 4Runner, Thunder.

I had two restful nights at Laurie and Bob's house in Citrus Heights. Bob is a big fan of baseball in general and the Giants in particular, so that makes me smile. He is also a big fan of fresh Maine lobster - a good childhood memory that he is keeping alive by serving it to guests - Me gusta langosta! 
Bob served it once before to Mike and me when we stayed for a few days in November 2015. 

Another good memory!

One day I took a road trip up to Tahoe City to attend the live music concert at Tahoe Commons with Diane, a friend who I called to reconnect with on just the right weekend. 
Mike and I have spent a nice part of the last three summers at Lake Tahoe and we really enjoyed these Sunday afternoons listening to music and enjoying the lake views. This year the lake is very high, and my partner is missing. 

But Diane and I enjoyed reconnecting. Her husband, Doug worked with Mike for several years and we still have a lot in common because she lost Doug six years ago.  

It is not a club I wanted to join, but now that I have I'm learning how helpful and comforting it can be to visit with another woman who loved and lost her husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment