Saturday, April 22, 2017

Backpedaling: 2017, April 1 - 14

Where do I begin?  How about the beginning of April.....

Eric stopped in for a two night visit on April 5 and 6 since he was driving by on his way from Cancun to northern CA for his summertime work.  I borrowed a bike from Pam, a fellow camp host for me to ride and Eric rode the bike Connie gave me.  We take a very nice 16 mile round trip bike ride up to Oceanside on a beautiful day.  Here we are stopping for a break at Stone Brewery - a local San Diego brewhouse.

Spring has finally arrived.  This year has been wet everywhere on the west coast, I know, and that is a good thing.  This year we have received more rain during Jan - March than we did the whole time we were here in all the previous years combined - 2014,2015 ad 2016.  This is a view from the campground looking down at the beach - there are five different access points spread out over the 1.5 mile beach campground at the top of the bluff.  The access stairways are not handicapped friendly - 2 of the 5 stairways contain over 100 steps from bluff-top to rocks.  If you zoom in on this picture, you will see an eager sunbather getting some early season full body sun.


Here is an empty campsite sporting a beautiful spring bouquet of flowers.  The palm trees and houses are across the street called The Coast Highway, Highway 101, or Carlsbad Blvd.  It is a major road, so carries a lot of traffic but once you get to the ocean side of the road all there is between the road and the ocean is the campground,  Less than a mile on the inland side of the Coast Highway is I-5.  At night the road is mostly quiet, and the campground smells of campfires. It is easy to forget we are so close to civilization when the ocean surf is such a beautiful sound.

Let's take a short flashback to last March, 2016 when Mike and I drove to Phoenix to purchase and have installed this hydraulic lift which was an integral tool in Mike and my ability to accomplish our goal of staying in the motor home for as long as possible.
Since the lift is no longer needed I took a repeat road trip this March, 2017 to the Phoenix area to have the hydraulic lift removed from the motor home at the same place that installed it last year.  I also had a repeat visit with camp host friends Laverne and Bill.  I parked on the side of their house in Arizona City and had a really nice two night visit.  Laverne has been brewing kombucha and was happy to share a starter kombucha scoby with me so I can make my own.  Here is a picture of my second batch bottled on April 1. Delicious!                                                  

As I mentioned in a recent post, I have been making it a priority to visit the beach.  In addition to this activity being a really good place for me to reflect on the past and look forward to the future it has the added benefit of allowing me to prep the tan I will need and want for my upcoming trip to Mexico.  More on that later.  Here is me needing practice on making better selfies.
 

and another after many tries with the delayed timer 

on my phone which I balanced against a rock in my new rock spot.
I have yet to learn if a person can have too may sunset pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment